See your staff get on better with colleagues and clientsSee uptick of retention of good talent, and reduction of your customer acquisition costs. Rebuild and reboot your teams faster to think differently with Improv@Work™ BOOK YOUR TASTER SESSION
The team started to communicate in trust each other and be more open with each other. And that was a springboard for a new game plan, which we’re now rolling out in 2022. – Paul Brasch, GM
MANY TEAMS HIT THEIR NATURAL LIMIT OF DEVELOPMENT
And because many are just unaware of their level of communication, they and their team misses out on newer ideas and this effects their overall productivity.
Low levels of trust
- Organisational and personal values may not match.
- Job insecurity.
Lower emotional intelligence
- Less likelihood for recognition of actions, present and past.
- Less tolerance and acceptance of other views, suggestions or advice.
Fear and defence against change
- Slow responding to changes within your own sector stifling innovation.
- hampering the ability to be a market leader.
- Internal hierarchies lacking flexibility.
Low levels of acceptance
- Conflicts more easily occur.
- More avenues for self-interest to run rampant.
- Responding not through building, but through interjection.
Lack of awareness of how others cope
- Higher expectations of service from colleagues.
- Some cross-team collaborations are more difficult than others.
- self-censoring and editing of ideas lessen diversity of contributions.
- imbalances in who contributes.
- Using ‘but’ more than ‘and’.
It doesn’t have to be like this.
So let’s improve this the fun way!
HOW TEAMS IMPROVE THROUGH IMPROV@WORK™
Through rebootr’s use of the experiential and quick-acting nature of applied improvisation (AI)
AI includes the use of the LAB skill-set (listening, accepting and building) through activities. Each activity contain one or two elements which build this skill-set, such as postponing judgement, becoming comfortable with change, move from self-focus, or tune into others.
Experience • Absorb • Apply
We debrief after each activity and ask each person:
“how could you use these elements at work?” and “what would work be like if your culture embraced this element?”
“Improv [is like] being yoga for your social skills, or loud noisy group mindfulness.”
Kurt Nelson, Ph.D. and Tim Houlihan, Second City Works
“[Improvisation] is the ability to create and implement a new or an unplanned solution in the face of an unexpected problem or change.”
MIT Sloan Management Review
‘GETTING ON BETTER WITH EACH OTHER’ IN ACTION
through the LAB activity: ‘0 to 10’.
Within just 8 minutes of AI, they go from starting to listen to trusting each other more.
This is what we are looking for: changes in behaviour and/or thinking we can build on.
LISTENING/BECOMING MORE PRESENT
⓵ They are focused on where others are at, and less on themselves.
⓶ Then they become more aware of how they influence the conversation, and also pick up on the other person’s cues more.
⓷ In other words, they speak everyone else’s language more.
⓸ And they are more likely to develop greater trust between each other.
EXAMPLES ON HOW IMPROV@WORK™ IS APPLIED
If new team members don’t blend well with existing teams, higher turnover is a result.
SOLUTION – apply AI tools to:
- work on listening, accepting and building on others ideas, and
- “make others look good”.
People take each other into account more, laugh and enjoy each other more, and help and collaborate more. A more inclusive and less problematic team stays together.
Step 2: positively effect what happens on the other side of the table, desk, phone or counter with any type of customer, through a strong and unified team culture.
Exceptional customer service is hard to maintain in the face of constant unexpected or negative customer interactions.
SOLUTION – apply AI tools to:
- become comfortable with change and unexpected events.
- build on customers’ ideas in real-time to come to a win-win resolution.
- Build a empathetic working culture that is in ‘the flow’ with customers.
- Expect overall performance to increase, and fewer people to leave.
And they’re fun to do, and keep doing. That’s the key for their impact.
“The power with what you’re doing is you’re addressing things that no one’s solved.” – conversation with a sales manager of a Sydney cloud IT security firm.
THE IMPACT OF IMPROV@WORK™ ON HOW PEOPLE WORK
The Improv@Work session was great fun! Even though we have a cohesive team, it helped us bond further.
I can see great benefit in it being a catalyst for smoother, easier communication, as well as a support mechanism to enhance positive communication and culture.
Omar Afiouni, Chief Strategy Officer, MAP Institute
“So you let go of knowing you don’t need to know things, you’ll work it out, and … letting everybody do it in a team, because everyone has something to contribute. You’re able to listen to everyone’s creativeness, because you let go of the fear. And you [can] identify anyone in the team who has that fear, and [this game] brings out their child in them. That then enables them to also create what they really would like. So thank you.”
Buyers Agent, Sydney CBD
HOW IMPROVISATION IS USED IN BUSINESS
How using service improv helps you lead better
❝”I need you to go past your lines and come from who you are, not what you recall.” Excellent customer service comes from going beyond the basics to “come from who you are.” Elsa knew how to do her job “by the book,” so she could do it “by the customer.”❞ ►
IMPROV@WORK™ PACKAGES AND PROGRAMS
HOW WE DO EACH PACKAGE AND PROGRAM IN 4 STEPS
- We listen to what issues your team needs to overcome, and the changes needed.
- We collaborate on a custom program to get you there.
- We measure the initial results (e.g. “yes, and”-ing each other more) and longer results (e.g. NPS rating, # return customers).
- We work out together how you can lock in the changes to get greater ROI.